Booking is now open for my online symposium for the Open Spaces Society and the Museum of English Rural Life on 8 September. Free, all welcome.
Go to the MERL website for more information and to book: https://merl.reading.ac.uk/event/whose-landscapes-open-spaces-society-symposium/
Session 1: 2pm-3pm
- Introductions and welcome from The MERL and OSS
- Katrina Navickas (The MERL OSS Fellow), ‘The Open Spaces Society lantern slides collection at The MERL’
- Ruth Quinn (University of Hull), ‘Cows not campus: open space preservation in the ‘bufferzone’ at Saltaire World Heritage Site’
3pm: virtual coffee
Session 2: 3.15pm-4pm
- artists’ showcase – artists and poets show their work on landscapes and open spaces
- Mark Gorman (Newham Heritage), ‘Saving the People’s Forest: the commons preservation campaign and Epping Forest’
- David Toft (Hayfield Kinder Trespass) and Chris Chilton (Winter Hill 125), ‘Commemorating the Winter Hill Mass Trespass’
- Keith Sands, ‘The 1991 Range West Mass Trespass’
Session 3: 4pm-4.30pm
- find the location challenge – get access to the lantern slide collection and do some geo-location with Street View and old maps!
- round up and close