Prof Katrina Navickas, a historian of popular protest and public space in England
I am Professor of History, University of Hertfordshire: link to staff page
I was Open Spaces Society Fellow 2020-21 at the Museum of English Rural Life
Twitter: @katrinanavickas and Rural Modernism: @RuralModernism
- Protest and the Politics of Space and Place, 1789-1848 (Manchester University Press, 2016) – see its accompanying website http://protesthistory.org.uk
- Loyalism and Radicalism in Lancashire, 1789-1815 (Oxford University Press, 2009)
- I’ve written an essay on the history of bins for Joe Lycett’s book, Bins
- I gave an interview for BBC Radio 4, ‘Analysis’, ‘what’s the point of street protest?’, Monday 4 October 2022, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001cpkk
- At Womad 2022, I chaired a panel of writers for Comma Press’s collection, The Cuckoo Cage: Bidisha, Courttia Newland and Irfan Master.
- I gave the Frow Lecture at the Working Class Movement Library, June 2022
- Dan Snow’s HistoryHit, podcast, ‘enclosures’, 2022:
- Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain, podcast, ‘Architecture and Protest’: https://www.sahgb.org.uk/podcast/architecture-and-protest
- John McDonnell’s People’s History, episode 3, ‘The Chartists’: https://peoples-history.simplecast.com/episodes/episode-3-the-chartists
- BBC One’s The One Show, 1 March 2021, interviewed by Bill Bailey on the Ramblers’ Association’s campaign to save lost footpaths. With Jack Cornish of the Ramblers.
- BBC Newsnight, August 2019, on the Peterloo 2019 commemorations:
I’ve written for the LRB, Tribune, History Today, Red Pepper, and Open City.
- Review of Doreen Massey, Selected Political Writings, ed. David Featherstone and Diarmaid Kelliher, for Red Pepper, 237, autumn 2022, https://www.redpepper.org.uk/review-doreen-massey-selected-political-writings/
- Review of Historic England’s guide to Stevenage, for Tribune magazine, winter 2022 edition: https://tribunemag.co.uk/issue/winter-2022
- Central Croydon Pocket Tour map for Open City, which you can purchase from their website: https://shop.openhouselondon.org.uk/collections/printed-tours/products/pocket-london-croydon-printed-tour-guide
- Chapter, ‘Croydon’, in The Alternative Guide to the Boroughs of London, edited by Owen Hatherley for Open City London: https://open-city.org.uk/blog/the-alternative-guide-to-the-boroughs-of-london
- Essay in The Cuckoo Cage, edited by Ra Page (Comma Press, 2022)
- Essay on Peterloo for the LRB, 20 Dec 2018: https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n24/katrina-navickas/opprobrious-epithets
- Essay on E. P. Thompson, Karl Polanyi and R. H. Tawney for the LRB, 11 Oct 2018: https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n19/katrina-navickas/whats-missing
- Essay in Protest: Stories of Resistance, edited by Ra Page (Comma Press): https://www.thelondonmagazine.org/interview-ra-page-on-stories-of-uprising-and-protest-in-the-age-of-coronavirus/